Wednesday, August 15, 2007

TOP 11 Reasons Not a Good Idea to put the Groom in charge of the wedding

I stumble upon this TOP 11 Reasons Not a good idea to put the Groom in charge of the wedding written by Kelley Lynn in on of the bride's website. This is so COOL! If there were such groom, I don't know how the bride will react. What will you do if you are in that shoe?

"Ah, wedding planning. Isn't it the greatest joy? (insert sarcastic tone here) Brides-to-be: have you had those days where you just want to pull your hair out, or preferably someone else's hair; out of pure frustration? Are you stressed beyond your wildest imagination; knee-deep in DJ contracts, color schemes, and bridesmaids dresses; only to look over and see your dear fiance heavily engrossed in a game of "Grand Theft Auto" on his Playstation? And in this frustrated, stressed-out level of persona, have you gone so far as to gently ask your beloved fiance for some HELP? Oh dear.


I remember one such day during my own wedding planning. I was annoyed, overwhelmed, and trying to book all the vendors on a time line, along with working a full-time job of course. We didn't have the budget for a wedding planner, and mom and dad live out of state, so I was pretty much on my own as far as the small (subtext GIGANTIC) details of planning. However, I had given my fiance one job to take care of. ONE JOB. Since our potential DJ was a good friend and ex-employee of my fiance's buddy, I thought it best that he call his friend to get the contact info for the DJ. So, days go by. Then weeks. I ask sweetly if he called his friend yet and got the DJ information. "Yeah I called and left a message, he hasn't called me back yet." This went on for weeks. The friend never got back to him. Finally, knowing that we were on a time line and needed to book this guy NOW or never, I told my fiance to please give me his friend's phone number and that I would call him. His response was, "Well okay, but what's the point? If he hasn't called me back, he isn't going to call you back either." Wrong. I called the number, left a polite but semi-urgent sounding message to get me this information, and guess what? He called me back immediately, the same day. We booked the DJ and all was well.

So what was the lesson in that little story? The lesson is this: If you think you want your fiance's "help" with planning your wedding, think again. His idea of help may actually cause you more stress and more work in the long run. Men, for whatever reason, don't seem to comprehend that weddings take time to plan, and that you have to start early. And that's not all - they don't understand about weddings. So in the end, do we really want our fiance's in charge of the important things regarding our wedding? Probably not. And If I haven't yet convinced you, here are the..."

Top 11 Reasons Its NOT a Good Idea to Put The Groom In Charge of the Wedding ...


11. Instead of tuxedos, camoflauge pants for the Ushers and tye-dye shirts for the Groomsmen.



10. Wedding Vows would include words like "Yeah," "Ditto," "Whatever dude" and "Cool."




9. Instead of flower bouquets, Bride would carry bag of chips for Groom to snack on during ceremony.



8. Bridesmaids would wear a selection of skimpy string- bikinis with stiletto heels.




7. All Sunday weddings would be banned during Football Season.



6. Wedding Cake would be of the Hostess or Little Debbie Snack Cake variety.



5. Classy Mozart ceremony music replaced by all "Ozzy" (or rocker of your choice.)



4. During ceremony, Bride would be forced to participate in emotional "giving of the Remote Control" custom



3. Why spent thousands of dollars on a stuffy, elegant reception site when we can just have wings at Hooters?



2. Dancing is out. Giant TV screen featuring "Guitar Hero" and "Splinter Cell" is in.



1. Signature cocktail ... Beer.


Feel free to add to the list. What's yours?

2 comments:

LiQ said...

I know exactly what you mean...FH was supposed to be in charge of wedding invites....never did anything until I asked ten times a day....hahaha...ended I had to do half the work anyway...

Anonymous said...

Thanks for re-blogging our blog on your site! Today, Kelley Lynn (who wrote that post) has her wedisode up. You can check it out here: http://www.brideorama.com/episode/wed_20070910

Thanks again,
Lindsey
Lindsey@brideorama.com